Friday, January 16, 2009

Vision



When you think of vision what is the first thing that comes to mind? 

This is something that our staff is digging deep into over the next few weeks at Sugar Creek. Where have you come from, what are you doing and where are you going to go. 

Personally I think vision needs to be incredibly detailed. Christ was explicit with his vision for Israel, he got specific with numbers  of the people (you will be more than the grains of sand). He got specific for the land they were to be given (you will have the land between this river and this river even though its occupied by others). He was specific about time frames, about being captured, about growing, about the messiah coming. 

Once the messiah was on the scene Christ got specific about his church. He gave a vision for who would lead the church, how it should look, how it will grow and how it will end. 

Vision is specific because it gives you a place to go. 

That being said, for all of you who live in the past, the past is important to look back on and reflect on. But you don't live there, you learn from there. The present is good as well. You end up staying in the present and your life will have no momentum. That is why you go toward the future. 

A couple years ago I received a vision for my life and where I should be. I got a vision to work in a church, doing what I love and impacting the church for Christ through tech and media. I'm there. Now that I've reached that part it's time to recast vision for my life. What will it look like 5 years from now? 

I don't think that vision is something that is stagnant and never changing. Sure set goals that are big, but somewhat attainable. Once you reach them wipe your slate clean and start again. Pray, recast the vision for you, your ministry or what not once you reach or come close to your current vision. It could take a couple years or it could take 20 years to get there, but don't stop once you get there. That just means you're growing and being active in your faith. Your faith doesn't ever stop so why should your vision stop, or run out, or die?

In developing a vision, I do think that it should be something that is bigger than yourself. Something that is totally outside the box, outside of your comfort, something that God is going to be able to accomplish, not you. I do not think however that it should be something so outrageous or vague that there is no way it is ever going to happen. 

So I would say that some of the goals for 2009 are part of my vision. I also pray that God gives me a vision bigger than myself, something out of the box and outside of my comfort zone for the future. I'm not sure what that looks like yet, but I'm on the path to try and figure that out. 

This could be more in depth, but I'm also sitting here and lending my ear to Kay Arthur as she speaks so that she doesn't clip or junk like that. Then  after this is done my vision for the day is: I'm going to go get lunch and get a hair cut. The faux hawk is gonna go away. Time for a change. After that I'm going to bust out some prep work for Sunday (and a little for the saturday 'training session') and change out some projector lamps. Then a work out and who knows what happens tonight.


No comments: